Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Back Home!

Well it has been over a week since I have been able to write anything on this blog. Life has been uncharacteristically busy. After leaving Oklahoma Sunday afternoon, I returned to the Mount in time to get a good night sleep before I was off again in the morning to the Regional Vocation Directors meeting in Leavenworth, Kansas. This meeting is a yearly gathering that gives vocation directors a chance to gather, listen to a speaker on issues pertaining to vocations and to have some prayer and sharing together. It was a good couple of days but very full.
After the meeting was over, I returned to the monastery only to leave again bright and early the next morning for the Kansas City Catholic Schools 5th grade day. This day is a yearly gathering in the archdiocese to promote vocations amongst young people. There were over 900 young people and women religious, priests and brothers from all the communities in the Archdiocese present for this event. I gave talks to small groups of 5th grade girls and Sister Rosann helped with a vocation Jeapardy game. At the end of the day the Archbishop celebrated Liturgy with the students. His homily was wonderful and really concentrated on the extraordinary contributions of women religious in this area. It was a great ending to a nice day.
After the long day in KC, I returned to the Mount to catch up on mail, phone calls and to get some information out for some upcoming events here at the monastery. After being gone a week there was a lot to catch up on. On Friday, I left once again. This time to go to a meeting in Bristow Virginia. (Just outside of Washington DC)
Now this trip was tricky. As luck would have it, I had booked my flight on American Airlines. So I knew travel would be tricky. My flight was to leave at 11 that morning but Sr. Mary Margaret had to drop me off at the airport early (6:45am). So I went to check in, only to learn my flight had been rebooked for the last flight out on Sunday - which would have been pointless since my return flight was first thing Monday morning. The agent (who must have been tired after all the cancellations) was kind and helpful and told me there was a flight leaving for Dallas at 7:10. She said if I could make it to the gate, that would get me to Dallas and she had one seat left on the only flight from Dallas to Dulles that night. I said book it and took off for the gate just making the plane. (Luckily I thought ahead and only had a carry on) We landed in Dallas where I spent 10 hours waiting for the next plane. But I made it to Dulles late that night all thanks to an early arrival and a kind flight agent.
My meeting in Bristow was wonderful! The committee I am on consists of sisters from 5 different communities. Veronica from Bristow, VA, Therese from Cullman, AL, Kathy from Erie, PA, Mariette from Elizabeth, NJ and myself. Most of us did not know each other very well, so it was a great opportunity to get to know more about each other and to work together for a common goal. After the meeting ended, 3 of us took some time to stroll around the mall in DC. While I had been to DC before, I had not seen the Vietnam, WWII, or Korean memorials so I was able to stop at each of these, say a prayer for all those killed in all wars and to say a prayer for peace.
I returned home late Monday night, only to leave again Tuesday morning for a meeting in Clyde, MO. So as you can see my life has been very busy these last couple weeks. It has all been good things but busy none the less. I am now looking forward to some time home with the community. I sure do miss them when I am away. I will try to write again soon. Peace

2 comments:

Searching Soul (a.k.a Darleen Pryds) said...

Hmmm....sounds to me like you have a bit of the mendicant charism going on in that Benedictine life of yours! Hope you can get some rest now that your're home. Peace to you.

Jenny Mac-- said...

I needed a nap just listening to how busy you've been--you need some R&R SOON! ;0) Glad you're home safe & sound.