Thursday, October 2, 2008

Guardian Angels

Icon of Archangels by Sr. Paula, OSB
May Archangel Michael protect my right side, the side of loving kindness and divine generosity.
May Archangel Gabriel protect my left side, the side of restraint and creativity where the power of God resides.
May Archangel Uriel be in front of me, with divine wisdom and understanding where knowledge resides.
May Archangel Raphael be at my back, standing at my foundation with divine healing powers.
May the power of God cover me with the spirit of love. Amen.

This week is the week for angels! On Monday we celebrated the Feast of the Archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael. Today is the feast day of the Guardian Angels.

If you Google images of "angel", "guardian angel" or "archangel", you will get a wide variety of concepts of angels. Some are older, traditional images taken from artwork throughout time, others are more modern images with a wide variety of ethnicities depicted, and finally their are contemporary images using the animation and fantasy art styles of today. It seems that there is no end to the images and feelings that angels create in our hearts and minds. One of my favorite images is the icon above. This icon was written by our Sr. Paula and hangs in my bedroom. It is a daily reminder of the presence of angels in my life. A presence I have acknowledged since my earliest years.

As a child I remember praying the Guardian Angel Prayer:

Angel of God, my guardian dear

To whom God’s love commits me here

Ever this day be at my side

To light, to guard, to rule and guide

As an adult my gratitude for my guardian angel has not wained and I thank her daily for the protection and assistance that she offers me.

Today is a great day to remember your guardian angel and to thank her/him for all the protection and guidance you have received throughout your life. I know mine has rescued me from many a precarious situation. Below are several thoughts on angels. Hope you enjoy them.

Every blade of grass has an angel that bends over it and whispers, ''grow! grow!'' Talmud

An angel can illumine the thought and mind of a person by strengthening the power of vision, and by bringing within their reach some truth which the angel contemplates. St. Thomas Aquinas

Since God often sends us inspirations by means of angels, we should frequently return our aspirations to God by means of the same messengers. St. Francis De Sales

Beside each believer stands an angel, protector and shepherd, leading them to life. St. Basil

The servants of Christ are protected by invisible, rather than visible, beings. But if these guard you, they do so because they have been summoned by your prayer. St. Ambrose

Guardian Angel Prayer from Catechism of the Council of Trent O most faithful companion, appointed by God to be my guardian, my protector and defender, and who never leaves my side; how shall I thank you for your faithfulness and love, and for the benefits which you have conferred upon me? You watch over me while I sleep; you comfort me when I am sad; you lift me up when I am down; you avert the dangers that threaten me; you warn me of those that are to come; you withdraw me from sin, and excite me to good; you exhort me to penance when I fall, and reconcile me to God. Leave me not, nor forsake me ever, I beseech you; but still comfort me in adversity, restrain me in prosperity, defend me in danger, assist me in temptations, lest at any time I fall beneath them. Offer up in the sight of the Divine Majesty my prayers and petitions, and all my works of piety, and help me to persevere in grace, until I come to everlasting life. Amen.

Meditation for the Feast of the Guardian Angels by Pope John XXIII According to the teaching of the Roman catechism, we must remember how admirable was the intention of divine Providence in entrusting to the angels the mission of watching over all humankind, and over individual human beings, lest they should fall victims to the grave dangers which they encounter. In this earthly life, when children have to make their way along a path beset with obstacles and snares, their parents take care to call upon the help of those who can look after them and come to their aid in adversity. In the same way God in heaven has charged the angels to come to our assistance during our earthly journey, so that, protected by the angels' help and care, we may avoid the snares upon our path, subdue our passions and, under this angelic guidance, follow always the straight and sure road which leads to Paradise. Every one of us is entrusted to the care of an angel. That is why we must have a lively and profound devotion to our own Guardian Angel, and why we should often and trustfully repeat the dear prayer we were taught in the days of our childhood. May we never fail in this devotion to the angels! During our earthly pilgrimage we may often run the risk of having to face the natural elements in turmoil, or the wrath of others who may seek to do us harm. But our Guardian Angel is always present. Let us never forget our angel and always remember to pray to them. Original quote translated from Discorsi, Messaggi, Colloqui del Santo Padre Giovanni XXIII, della Poliglotta Vaticana, Vol II: 1959-1960, p. 762.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Suzanne, for this beautiful reflection. Are prints of Sr. Paula's lovely icon available for purchase?