Saturday, October 24, 2009

Oprah Day - O You

For the past couple years, my 4 sisters (siblings) have attended the Kansas City Oprah Day (also referred to as O You). This year they decided it would be nice to bring me along and so all 5 of us (and a few other friends) signed up for the day. And what a day it was.
As you enter the conference center, each person is given a personalized name badge, a journal, a pen and a bag to carry all of your things. (You are also given a bag of goodies at the end of the day). The day itself consisted of many things including presentations by various Oprah personalities, you pick which 4 you want to attend. There are 2 speakers in the morning, a lunch, and then 2 speakers in the afternoon. In between, are opportunities to visit booths (about a dozen specially picked booths), to peruse the bookstore and Oprah store, to get a massage, makeover, or new hair style, to try yoga or Wii Fit Plus or to wait in line to get autographs and speak with the presenters.

This year we heard presentations by Nate Berkus (Decorating), Suzi Orman (Finance), Dr. Oz (Health), and Martha Beck (Loving Your Life). Each person had a lot to say and was interesting and informative in their own way.

In between two of the sessions, I decided that since one of our sisters, Sr. Mary, really loved the show "What Not to Wear" that I would wait in line and get an autograph from Stacy London to bring home to her. Well after waiting in line for 45 minutes, I was finally up to the front. I knew I was one of the last to get her autograph since her time was running out, so I quickly gave her my book to sign and explained about the sister who loved her show and gave her Sr. Mary's name. As she looks up, she screamed out (as she is known to do) and started giving me grief about my outfit - see below. As you may know, Stacy hates holiday wear and flipped that I was wearing a Halloween vest. I was laughing, since I knew I would get grief but was willing to offer it up to get Sr. Mary the autograph. Finally, after what seemed like ages of her picking on my vest (she was fine with the rest of the outfit), she asked my name, since I only gave here the name of the other sister, and she writes an autograph and hands it over to me. It read " Sister Mary, Work Hard! Dress Right! Don't let Suzanne wear holiday sweaters EVER!!! Stacy London.

It just really made me laugh. And even though she was giving me grief, she really was very nice and friendly and seemed to be a good person. But it was quite the encounter and a wonderful shared experience of loving fun with my sisters.

1 comment:

spilled ink said...

This made me laugh out like - I would have gone to Margaret Beck - I have her book - The 4 day win.